Saturday, April 4, 2015

Day 0: Introduction to the journey.



Hi everyone. My name is Billy & I want to share with you one of the most exciting journeys I’ve ever been on; Learning the German language. First off, I want to assure you that when I started learning German, the language was 100% foreign to me.
- I’ve never been in a German language class.
-Never had German-speaking friends. (Now I have many; natives & non-natives.
J).
 -never watched movies in it, barely ever heard people (in some brief scenes in movies) speak it.
 I had attempted to learn it about 5 or 6 years ago and that attempt was a complete failure. By the time I decided to go back to it, I only remembered “Guten Tag”, “Hallo” & “Danke”…& that’s it!.....so my brain was, so to speak, ‘German-free’. You might’ve already heard every once in a while somewhere someone said how intimidating the German language or the German grammar is. Well, I’d like to assure you & mark my words: “There’s always some way to bypass a tough grammatical point or concept in whatever language.” I keep telling myself this when I’m really in a bind and I can’t think of a way to go around it: “Native speakers have no problem with this point whatsoever so I should find a place within myself to find peace & be okay with it… ”
J
Now, let’s get to part two of this introduction:
Motivation:
if we’re speaking about motivation, I’d like to confess something a little bit embarrassing to you (don’t tell anyone!)….”before I started learning German, I thought only German & Switzerland spoke the language”. Despite my not-so-bad knowledge of Geography (that’s how foreign the language was to me!). But people will every now & then (sometimes naysayers) say: “Why learn language X?”…
Well, there are always good reasons to learn any language. So many people learn German because they want to travel to Germany or any other German-speaking country to study, to live etc. Or they learn it because it’s beneficial to them in their studies (business students or so.) But I want to be honest with you & tell you that after I did some search on this question: “why should I learn German?”…I found my motives differs greatly from almost any motives out there. I’m not exactly planning to go to Germany nor am I a business student. After thinking this through, I’d figured that I wanted to learn German because I wanted speaking German to be part of me. The language grammar gives me joy “deciphering it” & working my way through it. Also, I must admit I’m not really that much of a practical kind of person. I prefer to do things I like rather than things I have to do. I never neglect anything I have to do though. Don’t get me wrong. But if I’m enjoying what I do, one day, the return will come. And German is an important language. Spoken by hundreds of millions. It’s not like it’s a dead language. So, I’m hitting two birds with one stone. Naysayers will come & say:” isn’t it better to do something else?”…I say: “every single one of us wastes a lot of time in front of TV we’re not even paying attention to, or just sit in front of the laptop browsing without doing something that fun!...so, if all else fails, let’s kill some time learning German.
Say you tomorrow, tschüss!
Next: Day 1: Let's Gear up!

2 comments:

  1. I am happy to be following you. Please keep up the great work. Danke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bitte, Neal! I hope you find the blog helpful. :)

      Delete